About Us

 

The First United Presbyterian Church, USA, in Richmond , Virginia began in 1890, as a mission of fourteen members under the direction of the Board of National Missions of the Presbyterian Church, USA . Records of the United Presbyterian Church indicate that the congregation ceased to be a mission in 1892 and was organized as the First United Presbyterian Church in Richmond , Virginia . In 1893, a brick and stone edifice was erected at the corner of Monroe and Catherine Streets in Historic Jackson Ward.  First United Presbyterian Church became an integral part of the community, providing religious instruction and worship. 

 

First United moved to the present site at 3401 North Avenue on September 28, 1974. The cornerstone was laid by the Capital City Lodge No. 107, under the direction of the Most Worshipful Grandmaster, the Honorable Landon White, Elder of First Church. First United was one of the churches of the predominantly Black Southern Presbytery, which ceased to exist in 1987 and became a part of the integrated Presbytery of the James. 

 

In January 1988, Reverend Willie Woodson was called as Pastor after having served as Interim Pastor for three years. Under his leadership and tutelage, the church has grown spiritually. First United celebrated its 100th anniversary in 1990 with a grand celebration on the campus of Virginia Union University . The mortgage note was burned. 

 

In the early 1990’s, the Church began making plans for a building expansion to perform ministries that will enhance the community, promote church growth, and do the will of God. In the mid-1990’s the Church purchased the property directly across the parking lot. 

 

In 1997, the Church launched upon a new approach towards ministry by participating in a project called “Vision For A Vital Church ”. This remains the foundation of our purpose today.

 

In October 2003, First United launched upon its Capital Campaign with the commissioning of the campaign committee members. As we prayerfully embarked upon this vision, it was a testimony to the power of God and the fact that First United is and has always been blessed with loyal and dutiful men and women who work diligently utilizing their hearts, minds and souls so that the Church can be all that God called it to be.
 
                            
     PASTORS
 
Rev. James Rawlins...................1890 - 1899
Rev. William E. Partee................1899 - 1906
Rev. Thomas H. Lee, PH.D........1907 - 1912
Rev. Thomas E. Montouth..........1913 - Unknown
Rev. Alexander Aritmus Hector.....1916-1933
Rev. Samuel Govan Stevens......1934 - 1940
Rev. Everett A. Hewlett................1941 - 1943
Rev. Sanders McKelvey..............1944 - 1948
Rev. Herman Wiggins.................1949 -1962
Rev. Robert Hare........................1963 - 1968
Rev. Eugene James, Sr..............1969 - 1983
Rev. Willie Woodson, D. Min.......1988 - 2014
Rev. Nathan Dell.....................2014 - Present